I just told a friend about this recipe, and since ground turkey is on sale this week through Wednesday at Sunflower Market I thought that I would take time to share it. Josh and I made it a few months ago, ate half and froze half to eat later. I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did.
1 lb ground turkey
1 Tblsp soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced fresh ginger root
1 cup brown rice
1 cup water
16 large lettuce leaves
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced red bell pepper
1 cup sliced radishes (I put out radishes, but omitted them the second time.)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup water
3 Tblsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tblsp minced fresh ginger root
1 tsp sugar
1. In a medium bowl, mix together first 4 ingredients. Form into 16 meatballs and roll into ovals. cover and refrigerate. (I did not make the balls, instead I kept it ground, mixed the ingredients and just browned it.)
2. In a medium saucepan over med/hi heat, combine rice with 2 cups water. bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. (We made fried rice instead of the brown rice… if I remember correctly)
3. Preheat the grill or broiler. Arrange rice, lettuce, carrots, green onions, radishes, and red peppers onto a serving platter. In a med bowl, mix together last 6 ingredients. Divide into 4 small dipping bowls.
4. Thread 2 meatballs onto each 10 inch skewer. Grill or broil for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally to brown all sides. If broiling, line broiler with aluminum foil and drain fat after 6 minutes.
5. To eat, place a leaf of lettuce onto the palm of hand, spoon on a little rice, then a meat roll, and a few of the veggies. Roll up and dip in dipping sauce or spoon sauce over.